The formation of Road Safety Research and Development Unit provides high quality, sustainable research on road safety, which provides strategic direction for all road safety practitioners in South Africa.
The functions of the Unit are as follows:
- Complement and support key road safety strategies such as the National Road Safety Strategy.
- Engage with policy makers, industry stakeholders and the wider community to ensure translation.
- Complement and support international road safety initiatives such as the United Nations Decade of Action.
- Create and encourage a cooperative road safety research effort at a national and international level.
- Seek opportunities to link with research and development efforts beyond the traditional road safety domain.
Additionally, the unit ensures improved quality research and access to data systems that support road safety efforts through monitoring existing road safety activities and evaluating new initiatives.
For more information, please contact: